Monday, April 11, 2011

Consumer Worksheet

Recently I did some light research on the labor conditions and pay for laborers in China.  I was asked to look at the items I had on me and in my possession including my clothing and such.  In the process, I learned that the majority of those items are made in China.  This was really no surprise to me, however, I was then asked to look a little bit closer at the working conditions, rate of pay, and living standards compared to my own, and this is what I found:

Most of the laborers in China are poor, old, young or migrants.  It is clear that they are or were disadvantaged and that these jobs provide them with a better living.  However, the working conditions for the most part are hazardous, provide little or no safety equipment, extremely long hours, few breaks, and are very demanding physically.  I highly doubt that I would be able to or desire to work in those same conditions.

The average laborer in China working in a factory is currently making about 7 yuan per hour/Chinese which is equivalent to $1.00 dollar/American.  They are working approximately 60 hours per week which affords them an income of approximately 28,000yuan or $4,282.60 dollars.  The standard of living adjustment would indicate that it would provide an american person with an annual income of about $12,847.80, hardly enough to live on let alone try to raise a family.

The brands that I chose to focus on for the purpose of this project were:

Nike, world headquarters located in Beaverton, Oregon and the Regional Headquarters located in the Netherlands.

Levi, located in Brussels Germany and San Francisco, California.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did your research and have become more aware of the process from which your goods originated. In a sense it makes me feel more blessed for having what I have and motivates me to work more. Not just for me, but for my fellow man. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great you found standard of living adjustment! Still it`s interesting what life style people can afford given this salary. If they are from rural areas, do they manage to provide for the family? Good job and nice-looking page!

    ReplyDelete