Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Responsibility Starts Here

The U.S. workers have most definitely suffered as a result of global trade and free trade.  The loss of good paying union jobs, outsourced white collar positions is still taking its toll on our economy. I really believe that the bigger corporate companies have done us a huge disservice and perhaps will go as far to say that we have been set back in our true economic growth.  It is more difficult for the small companies to get business loans and sustain all of the required insurances, payroll, and taxes which are required in order to run a local company.  While these large corporations are being "rewarded" by moving their business offshore.  Tariffs have been lifted, payrolls reduced significantly, lowered taxes, and in many cases, huge tax benefits and shelters for them.  I ask myself  "what can I do as an individual to help my local economy?"  I may choose to buy local produce, as well as other products made or grown locally.  In reality, I will still need to go to the stores and purchase items made offshore.  There are just too many things not made here anymore.  Perhaps the question or reasoning then becomes "how many do I really need"  Since, it seems to me that our very natures are being exploited, perhaps I should take this as an opportunity to adjust my own thinking and habits.  It seems we all, or a large number of us, are suffering from a disease of "more", not better or what is good and healthy for us, but more.  When more of us start to open our eyes and realize this, then perhaps we can effectively start combating some of these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment